Monday, July 14, 2008

The Big Day

I had my night-before-the-first-day-of-work routine planned out in my head for several days. Pick out clothes, accessories, and shoes, get the daughter's bag ready, set alarm clock, set coffee maker to have strong, hot coffee ready by 6 a.m., give Teagan a bath and get her in bed by 8:30, be in bed by 9:00, asleep by 10:00. Long story short, I crawled into bed at 11:30 p.m. without the faintest idea of what I would be wearing today.

I arrived at the office only to find that one of my bosses has a fat little dog named "Sugar" that accompanies her to the office every single day. I was surprised to find that the grayish silver rollie pollie with very few teeth and several bald spots had just turned four. I'd have guessed 24. I was thrilled to find that "Sugar" expected me to pet her and actually pretend to like dogs after each and every one of her fifteen trips outside each day. Can you say hand sanitizer?

Another long sotry short...I met three Richards, three Mikes, two Jimmys and a handful of people who go by their last names and as I tried to wake myself enough to stumble out the door at 5 o'clock, I was really wondering..."Hoooooly shit, when's payday???"

Kudos to me for not crying when the husband left to take the daughter to daycare, for not slapping the boss when she told me I "won't always be this bored" the thirty-seventh time, and for planning on going back tomorrow.

No comments: